I grew up in a football-loving family. As a kid, my family traveled to most of the University of Michigan games and I loved tailgating (and eating the the yummy tailgating snacks) as a student at University of Wisconsin. When I lived in Minneapolis, I became a fan of the Minnesota Vikings (Go Adrian Peterson!) and ended up getting really into fantasy football.
Even though I love the game dearly, I love the game-time snacks even more. But my husband and I are watching our waistlines, so instead of super-greasy fried food and creamy dips, I like to make these healthy low-cal football snacks.
· I have a soft spot for all things “Buffalo-style”—or maybe I have a soft spot for blue cheese dressing… Either way, Boneless Buffalo Wings are always a hit when I serve them up on game day.
· I love party mixes but they’re often made with the better part of a stick of butter, or worse, margarine. Jojo’s Party Mix gets its irresistible, rich taste from olive oil and a bit of Parmesan cheese, with two-thirds less fat (none of it saturated) so you can forget about that other stuff.
· I love spinach dip in all its forms, particularly the creamy, cold versions with crunchy water chestnuts, often served in a bread bowl. I was a bit skeptical when we decided to make a healthier version, but Creamy Spinach Dip is better than any full-fat version I’ve tried and has 10 grams less fat than traditional versions! Touchdown!
· If I had to say what my favorite bar food is, loaded potato skins are definitely it. Luckily, potato skins are the most nutritious part of the potato, so with just a touch of olive oil and Parmesan, you can bake up your own healthy Parmesan Potato Skin Chips.
· When the game is tied and the minutes are ticking away in the 4th quarter, I tend to eat nervously. So I make sure to have Ranch Dip & Crunchy Vegetables on hand, so I can guiltlessly munch away on the raw veggies—with just a bit of dip, of course—without feeling too guilty!
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)