Every year, right about this time, my birthday rolls around. Yup, it happens every year. And I welcome it. The change in season inspires me to have a fresh perspective on things. There is newness everywhere. (And it’s just warm enough to don a really fantastic birthday outfit!)
Even if it’s not your birthday, spring is such a wonderful time for celebrations. And for that reason, light, luscious cakes are always in order. Here are some of my favorite cakes from the EatingWell Test Kitchen. (See their 5 secrets for baking a perfect cake from scratch here.) There’s something for everyone here. Happy Birthday, Spring!
Easiest: One-Bowl Chocolate Cake
This easy-to-make chocolate cake is dark, moist, rich—and only dirties one bowl! Not quite as easy as boxed cake mixes, but those often contain trans fats. Our simple “from scratch” recipe gives you a home-baked cake with healthful canola oil and whole-wheat flour.
Elegant: Lemon Poppy-Seed Cake
We love that Bundt cakes don’t demand frosting—just let a sweet lemon glaze run over the poppy-seed cake and you’ve got perfection.
Kids Love: Raspberry-Swirl Cupcakes
These raspberry-lemon cupcakes are topped with an easy cream cheese frosting tinted pink with a little raspberry puree. For those unaccustomed to the mildly nutty flavor of whole-wheat flour (used in these cupcakes), the flavor of the raspberry puree swirled into the lemony cake makes the wheat flavor undetectable.
Everyone Loves: Carrot Cake
Carrots give carrot cake a health-halo effect—people think it’s health food, but it’s usually very high in fat and calories. But our version has about 40 percent less calories and 50 percent less fat than most. First, we use less oil in our batter. Then we skip the butter in the frosting (don’t worry, it’s still light and smooth). To ensure the cake is moist, we add nonfat buttermilk and crushed pineapple.
What's your favorite birthday cake flavor?
More from EatingWell:
- How Many Calories Are in a Bakery Cupcake?
- 5 Essential Tips for Baking Healthier Cupcakes
- Healthy Birthday Party Menu Ideas
- Get a free trial issue when you subscribe to EatingWell Magazine and sign up for our free e-newsletters!
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- 5 “bad” foods you should be eating (331 comments)
- The #1 food you should eat (and probably don't) (211 comments)
- 3 reasons you should snack on popcorn (124 comments)
- How to pickle anything (no canning necessary) (119 comments)
- 3 reasons you should reach for canola oil when you’re cooking (102 comments)
- What’s Fresh: Is corn healthy or not? (99 comments)
- The best breakfast foods for weight loss (78 comments)
- Is Coconut Oil Healthier Than Butter? (76 comments)
- How to make a healthy smoothie: best smoothie ingredients & 10 to ditch (75 comments)
- Trying to save money? 15 foods you don’t need to buy organic (72 comments)