Homemade Mexican taquitos—healthier and quicker than takeout!
By Wendy Ruopp, November 25, 2013 - 11:14am
When the EatingWell Test Kitchen started talking about the “flautas” they were making, I admit I needed a translation. But when I tasted Oven-Fried Beef Taquitos, I knew just what they were: deliciously crispy rolled-up little tacos filled with beef—and a healthy surprise.
Taquitos are a standard item on fast-food menus. Typically they’re deep-fried and can be greasy, rolled up in calories and fat. It’s not hard to understand why they’d be popular. We’ve kept that crispy goodness, but our version is baked and so much better for you. We use lean ground beef for the filling and a whole zucchini, shredded and mixed in with the spices so its presence is subtle (some might say sneaky). Top it with some yummy sharp Cheddar, roll it up and bake for less than 20 minutes for an easy, healthier Mexican fast-food dinner at home.
Oven-Fried Beef Taquitos
Pin it! Print it! Save it! Share it!
Makes: 4 servings, 3 taquitos each
Active time: 40 minutes | Total: 40 minutes
This healthy beef taquitos recipe calls for baking instead of deep-frying, making the taquitos substantially healthier than what you’d get at a restaurant. One order of these little deep-fried, rolled-up tacos at a restaurant can set you back almost 1,000 calories and 60 grams of fat! Don’t worry if some of the taquitos crack open while baking—they’re still crispy and delicious. Serve with your favorite salsa, guacamole and reduced-fat sour cream.
What other EatingWell makeovers of takeout favorites would you like to see? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)