When I think of the best season to enjoy fresh fruit, winter isn’t the first one that comes to mind. But that’s the wrong attitude! Take oranges for instance—they are juicy, ripe and ready for eating right now in both sweet and savory dishes. And since they’re in season, oranges are one of the cheapest fruits per pound in the produce section (less than $1/pound versus more than $11/pound for blackberries).
Oranges are perfect for an afternoon snack (just peel and eat), but I love the sweet balance they add to savory dishes. Here are some of my favorite winter recipes with oranges:
Curry-Roasted Shrimp with Oranges: Shrimp, oranges and curry make a great flavor trio. Serve over rice as a main course.
Pork Chops with Orange & Fennel Salad: Fennel-crusted pork chops with a warm citrus-and-fennel salad is a terrific antidote to a dreary winter day. Serve with crusty whole-grain bread or brown rice.
Roasted Halibut with Banana-Orange Relish: Bananas (another cheap ingredient) really stand up to the powerful tang of orange and lime in this accompaniment to roasted fish. Try the relish with other seafood, chicken or steak.
Five-Spice Chicken & Orange Salad: Five-spice powder is a Chinese seasoning shortcut combining multiple flavors in one convenient package. Tossed with oranges, chicken and Asian greens, it makes a terrific salad with a complex, layered taste that belies the simple recipe.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)