Our annual neighborhood summer potluck is next weekend. Something to look forward to, right? Hanging out in someone’s pretty yard while kids and dogs chase Frisbees and enjoy the sun… Why should I be nervous about that? At such an event you get to know your neighbors by their food offerings: one makes a killer potato salad, one makes a pasta salad that (unfortunately) looks better than it tastes, someone else brings deviled eggs that disappear instantly. None of those is me, though: I’ve usually kept it simple (and safe from food judgers like me) by bringing interesting beer to the party.
This time, though, I have the experts from the EatingWell Test Kitchen to help my dish shine at the potluck. In the July/August issue of EatingWell Magazine there’s this recipe for 8-Layer Taco Salad that’s the perfect thing to show off with and the kind of Mexican dip that’s always popular with a crowd. I’m going to borrow a tall-sided trifle bowl and layer up lean ground turkey, tortilla chips, salsa, pinto beans, crispy sliced romaine lettuce, avocado, shredded cheese and tomato—and walk out the door with it half an hour later, ready to meet my neighbors with my head held high.
8-Layer Taco Salad
Print, save and share this recipe!
This gorgeous and colorful 8-layer taco salad recipe is made healthier by using ground turkey in place of beef, adding Greek yogurt and bumping up the amount of vegetables. Serve this salad in a clear glass bowl and you’ll have an eye-catching party-worthy dinner or potluck side in just 30 minutes.
What do you put in your taco salad? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)