DIY healthy lunchbox treats: homemade fruit bars
By Carolyn Malcoun, August 18, 2010 - 11:48am
When it comes to lunch, not much has changed since I was a kid—even at age 34, I’m still envious when a co-worker pulls out a treat that I wish I had in my lunch bag! Whether you’re packing a lunch for the kids or brown-bagging it at work, it’s always nice to include a little treat.
I like to make these easy, healthy homemade fruit bars on Sunday afternoons. This recipe makes a nice-size batch and holds well for up to 5 days, so I can put them in my lunchbox all week as a special treat. And whether you’re a baker or not, this is one of the easiest dessert recipes the EatingWell Test Kitchen has ever created.
First off, the crust comes together in a snap in my food processor and doubles as the topping with some more chopped nuts stirred in. Is your child’s school a nut-free zone? These fruit bars area equally good when made with oats.
Related Link: Peanut Free Food for Kids
Plus I don’t have to get out my rolling pin: I just press the crust into the pan. The versatile fruit filling works with fresh, frozen or even dried fruit. Since local orchards are starting to have apples, I’m making the bars with an apple-cinnamon filling, but these bars are equally great filled with summer-ripe peaches or dried fruit in the winter. See recipes for all 5 fruit bar fillings.
Related Link: Healthy Lunch Box Cookies
Apple-Cinnamon Fruit Bars
These easy apple-cinnamon fruit bars make a big batch—perfect for fall potlucks and parties.
What are your favorite lunchbox treats? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)