So here we are in January—it’s cold outside and yet we’re trying not to crank the thermostat too high inside because the holiday bills are coming due and suddenly we’re not feeling all that flush. (Guess we’ll have to keep wearing those Christmas sweaters to stay warm.)
I’m also feeling the effects of overindulgence in December (OK, to be honest, overindulgence that started the day after Halloween when everyone brought their leftover candy to work). I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a resolution, but I definitely want to get back to eating more mindfully this month.
Check This Out: How to Lose 8 Pounds This Month
You might think the combination of needing to save money, eat healthfully and get warmed up would be hard to satisfy with just one recipe, but this Quick Pasta Bolognese developed by the EatingWell Test Kitchen manages to do all three. With budget-friendly pasta and just a half pound of lean ground beef, it comes in at under $2 per serving. (Slimming side note: a hollow, airy kind of pasta like rigatoni or penne, which are bigger in volume than spaghetti, trick your brain into thinking you’re eating more, so in the end you’ll eat more ”volume” but fewer calories.) And for that small amount of money, everyone gets a plateful of filling pasta topped with meaty sauce that’s packed with vegetables (carrots, celery, tomatoes) providing health-boosting vitamins A and C, zinc, iron and more. All that—and it’s ready in 40 minutes.
Get the Recipe: Quick Pasta Bolognese
Don’t Miss: $3 Low-Calorie Dinner Recipes
What quick pasta dish do you make when you’re sticking to a budget? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)