An easy, healthier caramel flan recipe for Thanksgiving or Christmas
By Wendy Ruopp, November 20, 2013 - 10:46am
Smooth, creamy and custardy, a flan is a delectable dessert to enjoy at the end of a special meal, especially Thanksgiving or Christmas. But just looking at that photo with the irresistible baked-sugar glaze on top, I assumed flan would be tricky to make at home—until I tried this healthy recipe for Flan de Queso. (That’s translated as Caramel Cream Cheese Custard, just so there’s no confusion).
Don’t Miss: Fabulous (& Healthier) Cheesecake Recipes
Flan is a traditional Spanish custard dessert and this recipe calls for just 7 ingredients (including reduced-fat cream cheese, which cuts fat and calories from the dish without sacrificing flavor or texture). It takes just 15 minutes to make! The only hard thing about it is having to wait 5 hours for it to cool and chill before you can eat it.
Caramel Cream Cheese Custard (Flan de Queso)
Print, share and save this recipe!
Active time: 15 minutes | Total: 6 ¼ hours (including 5 hours cooling & chilling)
To make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Every panaderia (bakery) in Puerto Rico has many flavors of flan, from vanilla to guava. Reduced-fat cream cheese gives this version a rich, comforting texture with fewer calories than regular cream cheese.
What not-so-traditional desserts do you like to make for the holidays? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)