Amazing quinoa & squash casserole and more quinoa recipes you must try
By Wendy Ruopp, November 20, 2012 - 11:40am
You heard the buzz (Everybody’s talking about quinoa!) and succumbed to the lure of its popularity (Everybody’s eating quinoa!), so you bought some quinoa. Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is a delicately flavored grain and one of the only plant foods that is a complete protein, meaning it has balanced quantities of 9 essential amino acids. Both white and red quinoa are available in most natural-foods stores and the natural-foods sections of many supermarkets. Toasting the grain before cooking enhances its flavor and rinsing removes any residue of saponin, quinoa’s natural, bitter protective covering.
Learn All About It: How to Cook Quinoa
So now that you have the hot grain-of-the-moment in your very own kitchen—you need to know what to do with it. I think you should make an amazing casserole with it. Here’s a new recipe, from the September/October issue of EatingWell, for a vegetarian quinoa casserole topped with pureed squash that you’re going to love. You make it all in one skillet, the quinoa doesn’t require any precooking and the whole thing takes just 30 minutes to put together. And you can make it up to two days ahead of time, so it’s really convenient.
Vegetarian Quinoa & Squash Casserole
An aromatic mixture of garlic, paprika, cumin, coriander, allspice and cayenne flavors this vegetarian quinoa and squash casserole recipe. Frozen squash is a super-easy topping.
What’s your favorite dish to make with quinoa? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)