Just last week I posted a blog on “Guiltless Indulgences: Six 100-Calorie Desserts,” with diet-friendly versions of S’mores and more yummy treats. And for as many readers who loved the recipes as much as I do, there were a handful of people who wished I had included desserts that didn’t contain any added sugar. (Great feedback, thanks!) One of the many comments came from Rick, who said, “Can you come up with a dessert using much less sugar and one with fresh whole fruits instead?”
No problem. To continue my theme of guiltless indulgences, here are 5 desserts with no sugar added. Dig in!
1. Cherries with Ricotta & Toasted Almonds
Warm cherries topped with luscious ricotta cheese and toasted almonds makes for a rich-tasting—yet calorie-conscious—treat.
2. Broiled Mango
Broiling fruit brings out its inherent sweetness. A squeeze of tart lime juice balances it out. Try this technique with pineapple as well.
3. Cocoa-Nut Bananas
Cocoa- and coconut-crusted bananas are a treat for the whole family.
4. Melon & Apple Granita
This granita uses sweet ripe melon for flavor, apple juice instead of sugar and a touch of lime juice to perk up the flavors.
5. Frosted Grapes
These frozen grapes are healthy mini-popsicles. Try freezing other fresh fruit, too, like raspberries or cubes of watermelon.
How do you satisfy your sweet tooth without overloading on sugar? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)