I hate to throw things away (please don’t look in my closet!), especially when it comes to food (you probably should avoid my freezer too). Whenever I serve burgers at a barbecue I inevitably end up with some extra buns.
(I can never use a whole bottle of barbecue sauce either. Find a dozen ways to use up a bottle of barbecue sauce here.)
EatingWell Sloppy Joes—Our updated Sloppy Joe takes lean ground beef and adds chopped cremini mushrooms and diced fresh plum tomatoes, all in a zesty sauce. Served on a whole-wheat bun, it’s a hearty dinner sandwich that will please adults and kids alike.
Stuffed Pork Sandwich—The classic Cuban sandwich inspired this recipe. The original is made with ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese and pickles pressed and griddled between two pieces of soft white bread. Our version cuts down on the meat and is served on a soft whole-wheat bun. Feel free to press it in a panini maker to make it crispy. (No panini press? See step-by-step photos for our easy stovetop technique here.)
Fried Green Tomato Sandwiches—Technically, these tomatoes aren’t fried but they are crispy when breaded and lightly browned in a skillet, then finished in the oven. A tangy sauce with sweet gherkins and capers is the perfect complement.
BBQ Tofu Sandwich—Though vegetarian BBQ may be an oxymoron, once you take a bite of this delicious tofu sandwich topped with coleslaw and dill pickles you will love the contradiction. (Find more satisfying vegetarian recipes for the grill, like Mediterranean Portobello Burger, here.)
How do you use up your extra buns? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)