Fall off the weight-loss wagon? 3 easy steps to get back on track
By Nicci Micco, March 12, 2009 - 4:36am
I love those stretches when my eating is nearly picture-perfect: yogurt and berries for breakfast, salads for lunch, fish for dinner; plus, plenty of water and a couple of healthy snacks in between. (You know what I’m talking about, right?)
But inevitably something—like the candy dish at work—breaks my stride. On my way to a meeting, I’ll help myself to a few peanut M&Ms. On my way back from the printer, I’ll snag another handful. And so it goes. Before I know it, I’ve easily eaten more than a serving. Ick.
In the past, this sort of unplanned eating might have led me to throw in the towel for the day and just eat whatever I wanted and as much of it as I liked. But now I know the key to overcoming slip-ups is to forgive, forget it and get right back on track.
Get the recipe: EatingWell Power Salad
Don’t let little lapses keep you from reaching your goals. Here’s how to recover from a binge:
1. Ask yourself what happened. Were you trying to be too good? If you’ve been eating nothing but celery all day, of course, a bowl of chocolate is going to get the best of you. Pack your day with satisfying, diet-friendly meals and, if you have a sweet tooth, don’t forget to save room for delicious low-calorie desserts.
2. Acknowledge the fact that you just ate your weight in pizza or ice cream, and then forget about it. Guilt begets more bingeing. You’ve worked too hard to succumb to that.
3. Get back on track ASAP. Make your next meal one that’s low-calorie and healthful but also delicious and satisfying. Big salads topped with something that provides a good amount of protein, such as the EatingWell Power Salad, which features turkey and Swiss cheese as well as plenty of veggies (mmm….), are good choices. So are soups, which studies show tend to be more satisfying than other types of foods.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)