In the spring I have no problems getting in shape. The days are longer and it’s warming up—both of which make it easier for me to ramp up my running routine outside. And those delicious spring veggies at the farmers’ market motivate me to trade a few of my favorite comfort foods for a heaping plate of garden-fresh salad. (Get inspired with these delicious salad recipes.)
But come summer I find it harder to motivate and stay in shape. The weather is hotter and more humid and so I’d rather skip my after-work exercise for a sunset sail on the lake or an easy potluck dinner and a few summery cocktails with friends.
To stay in tip-top shape for the rest of the season, I add exercise to my day in unexpected ways:
- Use the “5 & 10” rule for escalators and elevators: I take the stairs if I only need to go up five floors or less or down 10 floors or less.
- Walk to errands less than a mile away. (You can bike too!)
- Do my own gardening and housecleaning—it burns calories and saves money.
- Multitask—do crunches and push-ups while watching TV.
What are your tips and tricks for adding exercise to your day in unexpected ways? Tell us what you think below.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)