If it fits through a straw, it can’t contain very many calories, right?
With the exception of water, I find it easy to forget that what I drink adds to my daily calorie tally—and maybe more so than you’d think. For example, a 5-ounce glass of wine has 125 calories and a 12-ounce beer 150 calories. That’s enough to tip even a disciplined dieter over the top.
But what I find downright disturbing is that some of my favorite summer cocktails are chock-full of calories, to the point that I could trade just one of them in for a meal. Yep, that’s right, a meal.
Here’s how much “damage” your favorite summer sipper can do. (Plus, find more than 20 delicious lower-calorie summer drink recipes here.)
Monkeylada – A pina colada boasts about 403 calories. That’s about as much as a hamburger (397 calories). Try this lower-calorie version of a pina colada, made with ripe bananas, fresh pineapple and coconut milk—the Monkeylada.
Blueberry-Lime Margarita – A margarita contains 375 calories, but you could have a hot dog with chili and cheese for 367. Try EatingWell’s Blueberry-Lime Margarita for just 125 calories, plus you’ll get some potassium, vitamin C and antioxidants.
Peach Wine Cooler – You could trade your wine cooler at 200 calories for a scoop of potato salad (203 calories). Save yourself a few calories with this easy homemade Peach Wine Cooler.
Tell us what you think:
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)