Frozen Yogurt Bark Is the Healthy, Easy Treat You Need Right Now
Stirring up a batch of yogurt bark is as simple as 1-2-3. The result? A delicious fro-yo like treat, but better. Follow this easy formula for mixing up your own creation, or simply try one of the tasty combos below.
We love yogurt for a number of reasons—it's creamy consistency, satisfying protein factor and that it can be turned into a tasty fro-yo like treat in just 3 easy steps. Choose add-ins from each category below and then follow the easy steps for make your own delicious combination that both kids and adults will love! And don't miss out on our favorite combinations below.
How to Make Yogurt Bark
Pick and choose from the add-ins below to make your own unique yogurt bark creation!
- Place 3 cups of plain yogurt into a bowl and stir in 2 Tbsp. of liquid sweetener and a little flavoring, if desired.
- Spread the yogurt on a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper of a silicone baking mat. Swirl or sprinkle toppings on as desired.
- Freeze until solid, at least 3 hours. Cut or break the bark into pieces and eat immediately or freeze, airtight, for up to 3 months.
Choose Your Add-Ins!
Choose one from each category to build your own unique yogurt bark.
While you can use any yogurt—full fat strained yogurt (like Greek and Skyr) gives the creamiest texture, while other yogurts, like fat free, low-fat, traditional and dairy free yogurts tend to turn out a little icier, but still delicious! We like to use a plain yogurt and add our own sweetener, so we can control the added sugar (flavored yogurts tend to have no less than 6 grams added sugar, which is already about 1 1/2 tsp).
- Dairy Free (like Coconut)
Go for a liquid sweetener, as it ensure even distribution among the yogurt. you don’t have to worry about granules not dissolving.
While not necessary, you could mix in a flavoring to give the yogurt bark.
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- Cocoa powder
- Fruit puree
Swirling in one or more of the options below not only gives the yogurt bark a cool design, but tasty flavor with every bite.
- Melted Chocolate
- Nut Butter
Top it all off with a one last topping (or two) to give your yogurt bark extra crunch and flavor.
- Chocolate chips
- Chopped nuts
- Graham Crackers crumbs
- Citrus zest
- Shredded coconut or coconut chips
- Cookie crumbs
Our Favorite Combinations
These yummy combinations use ingredients from the above categories. Try one out for yourself today!
1. Honey + chocolate cookie crumbs + strawberry slices + pistachios
2. Agave + raspberry jam + chopped chocolate + toasted coconut flakes
3. Maple syrup + almond extract + mixed berries + granola
4. Maple Syrup + vanilla extract + cereal + banana slices
5. Honey + chocolate powder + orange zest + candied oranges + sliced almonds
6. Honey + peanut butter + mini chocolate chips + marshmallows + graham cracker crumbs
7. Agave + raspberry jam + toasted coconut flakes + candy-coated chocolate
This story originally appeared in EatingWell Magazine May 2020.