How to Make Cauliflower Rice
Get 2 easy ways to make cauliflower rice at home, plus nutrition information, how to cook it, recipe ideas and more.
Cauliflower rice could not be easier to make and is a healthy veggie-packed carb swap for rice in fried rice, risotto, Mexican rice, sushi and more. There are a lot of reasons to love cauliflower rice. It's low-carb, gluten-free, keto-friendly, easy to make and is the perfect neutral base for a ton of different flavor combinations.
Prepping Cauliflower for Cauliflower Rice
Before you can turn your cauliflower into rice, you have to break it down. Here's how:
1. Cut the head in half, down the middle.
2. Cut a "V" into the core where it meets the head.
3. The cuts will separate the core from the head. Do this to each half.
4. Cut the halves into quarters.
5. Cut the quarters into eights to break them down into manageable pieces (bigger pieces are good for grating; smaller pieces are good for the food processor).
Easy Ways to Make Cauliflower Rice
Now that your cauliflower is prepared, you have two options for turning it into rice:
Option 1: Use a food processor.
1. Add the cauliflower florets to the food processor bowl making sure it's not packed.
2. Press the "pulse" button on the food processor to break down the pieces further.
3. Continue to pulse the cauliflower until it's chopped into a size you like.
Option 2: Use a grater.
1. Just like grating cheese, slide the florets up and down the grater. This leaves you with perfect rice-sized pieces but will take a little bit longer than busting out your food processor.
DIY Alternative: Buy it.
You can find riced cauliflower at almost any grocery store. Trader Joe's sells it frozen and fresh. Most grocery stores will have some in the frozen vegetables section and in the prepared produce section. Green Giant sells frozen cauliflower rice plain, as a medley with other veggies and as a risotto (plus, they have a whole line of other riced veggies in the freezer). Frozen cauli rice is a great staple to keep in your freezer for quick weeknight dinners.
How to Cook Cauliflower Rice
Once your vegetable is in rice-sized pieces, you'll want to heat it up a bit. Packages of pre-made cauliflower rice come with instructions, so go ahead and follow the back of the bag. If you make your own cauliflower rice, cook it on the stove.
1. Heat a little oil in a skillet on medium-high heat, add your cauliflower rice.
2. Cook the cauliflower rice, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until softened.
Now that you know how to make cauliflower rice, here are some fun recipes to make.
A super-simple recipe that still has plenty of flavor thanks to the use of fresh herbs–try chives, parsley, basil and cilantro.
This zesty and herbaceous dish gets topped with chopped almonds for flavorful rice pilaf with a crunch.
Our take on classic fried rice makes for a well-rounded meal that's packed with flavor.
Cauliflower Rice vs. White Rice Nutrition
I love that I can swap cauliflower rice into any recipe where rice is called for to get more fiber and veggies in my diet. Let's start with calories: 1/2 cup of riced cauliflower delivers 37 calories, while 1/2 cup of cooked white rice has 100 calories.
You'll also go from 22 grams of carbohydrates per cup to just 7 grams per cup when you switch from white rice to cauliflower.
That's a savings of 63 calories and 15 grams of carbs.
Added bonus: You'll get 3 grams more fiber when you choose cauliflower rice.