Pressing tofu helps extract liquid so it cooks up perfectly in this healthy Chinese tofu recipe. Look for plum sauce—a sweet-and-sour condiment—near other Chinese sauces in most supermarkets.
• Brown rice (1 cup each) - 218 calories
• Cooked carrots (1 1/4 cups each) - 68 calories
A bit of sausage goes a long way in flavoring the creamy ricotta tomato sauce in this healthy and quick pasta recipe. While this recipe calls for macaroni, you can make this dish with any type of tubular pasta. It’s just the thing to satisfy your craving for comfort food in a hurry.
• Small whole-wheat dinner roll - 74 calories
• Steamed spinach (1 cup each) - 65 calories
In this recipe, roast pork tenderloin is glazed with honey, lime, soy and ancho chile powder and served on top of cheese grits. Ancho chile powder, made from dried poblano peppers, has a mild heat and adds a rich, subtly smoky flavor.
• Green beans (1 cup each with 2 tsp. butter) - 102 calories
A touch of heavy cream, a few garlic cloves and thyme sprigs round out the flavor of tender braised leeks with chicken in this recipe. The rich, silky sauce is wonderful over whole-wheat egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Leeks grown in the garden and those that you find at the store can be vastly different in size. Garden leeks tend to be smaller, so if you’re using leeks from the garden, make sure you pick enough to fill up the pan.
• Egg noodles (2/3 cup each) - 147 calories
Migas, scrambled eggs with strips of tortillas, is a tasty breakfast or quick dinner. Poblano peppers, onion and salsa on top ensure you get some veggies in your eggs.
• Refried beans (1/2 cup each) - 115 calories
• Guacamole (1/4 cup each) - 105 calories
In this French-style healthy soup recipe, sausage, cabbage and root vegetables simmer together to make a comforting and healthy meal. Serve the soup piping hot with grated Parmesan cheese on the side. Like most soups, the flavors are even better if it’s made a day ahead.
• Salad of mixed greens (2 cups each with 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinaigrette) - 179 calories
Here’s a quick version of Coq au Vin, a red wine-braised chicken-and-vegetable stew that usually takes the better part of an afternoon to make. Serve with herbed mashed potatoes and green beans.
• Mashed potatoes made with whole milk and butter (3/4 cup each) - 178 calories
• Green beans (1 cup each) - 34 calories