Nearly 25,000 Pounds of Raw Beef Recalled After Being Deemed "Unfit for Human Consumption"
American Beef Packers, Inc. recalled 12 tons of meat—here's how to tell if yours is affected.
On August 31, the USDA announced that American Beef Packers, Inc. recalled 24,428 pounds of raw beef products for potentially being unsafe for human consumption.
It's the USDA's policy that all animal products need to be inspected for disease and deemed fit for human consumption before they're processed. This issue occurred when one cow carcass was retained for inspection, but "prior to test results being received, the carcass was erroneously released and further processed into raw intact and non-intact beef products, which were distributed in commerce," according to a statement from the USDA.
According to the USDA's statement, there have been no confirmed reports of illness, but as a class II recall, "there is a remote probability of adverse health consequences from the use of the product."
The recalled products were packaged on Aug. 21 and include Ribeye, Boneless Beef and Sirloin. To ensure you're not consuming potentially contaminated meat, look inside the USDA's mark of inspection for the number "EST .34741" on the products' packaging. Here is a list of all the recalled products:
- Bulk pack combo bins containing "AMERICAN BEEF PACKERS 85 BONELESS BEEF CHUNKS" with LOT NO.110 and BIN No. 85 and BIN No. 86.
- Bulk pack combo bins containing "AMERICAN BEEF PACKERS 90 BONELESS BEEF" with LOT NO. 110 and BIN No. 81, BIN No. 82 and BIN No. 83.
- Bulk pack combo bins containing "AMERICAN BEEF PACKERS 85 BONELESS BEEF" with LOT NO. 25-110 and BIN No. 84 and LOT NO 110 and BIN No. 88.
- Cases containing "AMERICAN BEEF PACKERS RIBEYE 8/10 #1" with codes BT190821-1178, BT190821-1185, BT190821-1188, BT190821-1190, and BT190821-1194.
- 66.2-lb. case containing "AMERICAN BEEF PACKERS RIBEYE 10 UP #1" with code BT190821-1186.
- Bulk pack combo bin containing "AMERICAN BEEF PACKERS 90 BONELESS BEEF SIRLOINS" with LOT NO. 24-110 and BIN No. 80.
- Cases containing "AMERICAN BEEF PACKERS TENDERLOIN 4 UP" with codes BT190821-1160, BT190821-1161, BT190821-1162, BT190821-1163, BT190821-1167, BT190821-1168, BT190821-1169, and BT190821-1170.
- Cases containing "AMERICAN BEEF PACKERS RIBEYE 10 UP" with codes BT190821-1187 and BT190821-1192.
- Cases containing "AMERICAN BEEF PACKERS TENDERLOIN 3/4" with codes BT190821-1155, BT190821-1157, BT190821-1171, BT190821-1200, BT190821-1201, BT190821-1202, BT190821-1203, BT190821-1204, and BT190821-1205.
- 50-lb. cases containing "AMERICAN BEEF PACKERS DESC: BEEF FOR FURTHER PROCESSING 75/25" with lot code 08347412719.
The USDA is concerned that products have ended up in consumers' refrigerators and freezers. If you've purchased a raw beef product marked "EST. 34741," the USDA advises you return it to the store or throw it away. If you believe you've eaten the recalled product and/or are experiencing any adverse health effects, contact your doctor immediately.
If more information is released regarding the recall, we will update this page accordingly.